Thursday, February 5, 2009

Artz de Scrap Altered Cup


Here's my Valentine's altered project for Artz de Scrap. I call this The Cup Birdbath. I used a cream-colored melamine cup and saucer which I glued together with an empty plastic face cream container to give it more height. I used currant, slate and silver alcohol inks to cover the entire surface. Then I stamped plant images and text from Tim Holtz' Stampendous Collection using black StazOn. Then I trimmed the saucer and cup with laces, ribbons and sequined flowers.

To make the birds, I stuck scroll chipboards to the tail ends. I painted everything in white acrylic, then glued Leeho Clear Glitter on the birds' bodies. To the tail scroll and the wings, I dabbed currant with a drop of silver mixative all over. I discovered that chipboards are able to resist merely absorbing the alcohol ink when it is primed with acrylic first. Hence, the result is a paint-like finish that is shiny and full of dimension. After drying, I stamped text images on it with StazOn.

The result is a combination of grunge and elegance. My little boy wanted to play with the whole thing, despite the fact that it's pink all over! And I thought I didn't like pink?!

Do check out the Artz de Scrap Team's versions of the altered cup here.

Materials: cream-colored melamine cup and saucer set, empty plastic face cream container, Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Inks (silver mixative, currant, slate), Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Collection Nature's Discovery CMS 049, StazOn black, Maya Road birds and scrolls chipboards, Carolina's purple lace, black ribbon and sequin flowers.

8 comments:

Lee i. said...

love the colors of alcohol inks that you used. and the stamping - wow!

tnapay said...

beautiful creation candy. :) hihihi. this just shows you can work with any color. :-D bravo!

Mia Castrillo said...

Grabe, Candy! This is so galing! I am just staring with awe at this!

sHerLy said...

i love your altered cup, soooo nice! =) wish i could do something like that.

Anonymous said...

love ittt! :)

Jona Panesa said...

wow. truly a gorgeous piece of art. bow talaga ako sayo Candy!

janis said...

wow candy!!! my jaw dropped!!! really elegant and original. super love this. ;o)

Amy Wing said...

Just gorgeous, Candy!